A friend from Indonesia requested that I write a book answering in simple terms the most common myths about Islam. He came up with a few myths and I have thought of some more. I list them below.
I think I’ll call it 101 Myths of Islam. Each myth will be dispelled with less than 1000 words.
The number of false arguments Muslims make to prove Islam is true is limited. If we can answer them all or at least most of them and compile those answers in one volume, that book will serve two goals. It will help the Muslim who reads it to see the fallacy of all Islamic arguments and it can also be used as a handbook for anyone who engages in debates with Muslims.
I’d like to request your help in giving me ideas of the most common myths (questions or arguments) Muslims bring up. Here are the myths we have identified so far. If you can help me complete the list I will be very grateful.
This book will not address the scientific or miraculous claims made about the Quran.
I am trying to write one myths per day, so hopefully the book should be ready in about four to five months.
Please don’t engage in discussions in the comments section of this article. This post is temporary. Once I have the list I will remove it.
Thank you for your help.
101 Myths of Islam
I have so far answered the myths written in red font.
- Islam mean peace.
- Muhammad is “rahmatan lil alamin” (a mercy to the worlds).
- There is no compulsion in Islam.
- The Quran 109:6 says “Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion,” which proves Islam promotes religious tolerance.
- The Quran says whosoever kills one person, is as if he has killed mankind.
- Islam is the only religion that gives guidance and rules over all aspects of human life. It is the most complete and perfect set of heavenly rules for the world.
- Islam is the fastest growing religion.
- Islam is the only pure monotheistic religion.
- Allah is the same god of the Bible.
- Muhammad is mentioned in the scriptures of other faiths?
- Musa and Isa of the Quran are the same Moses and Jesus of the Bible.
- Allah is the actual name of God?
- Islam respects women and teaches modesty. That is why so many women are converting to Islam.
- Jihad means ‘internal struggle’. Islamic terrorists misunderstand Jihad!
- Jihad is only allowed as a self defense.
- Islam is compatible with democracy.
- Islam can be reformed.
- Islam is a perfect religion that does not need reform.
- Islam promotes high morality.
- Islam promotes family values.
- Islam is an ethical religion.
- Islam is a natural religion. Everyone is born Muslim
- There are many interpretations of Islam, not all Muslims should be painted with the same brush.
- Islam is the continuation of the same message brought by Jesus.
- The Quran is a masterpiece that cannot be reproduced.
- The Quran is a book without contradictions.
- Unlike other sacred books that are corrupted the Quran is preserved.
- Islam is against idol worship.
- Islam encourages kindness to animals.
- Islam encourages learning.
- Islam promotes reason and rational thought.
- Muhammad married mostly widows out of charity.
- Prior to Islam Arabs used to bury their daughters alive.
- Prior to Islam Arabs were constantly fighting with each other, Muhammad united them.
- Prior to Islam women had no rights. Islam elevated their rights.
- Islam respects all religions.
- In Islam women are treated like queen.
- In Islam the consent of the woman is a prerequisite to the validity of the marital contract.
- A Muslim woman has the right to divorce her husband.
- Jesus and all prophets before him were Muslim.
- All Muslims are considered equal. In Islam there is no discrimination.
- The Quran is clear and easy to understand.
- Muhammad paid a visit to the Jewish woman who used to throw garbage at him when she became sick.
- Islam has been hijacked by extremists. Terrorism is all politics and about Israel.
- Fasting is good for health.
- The Quran cannot be translated in other languages.
- Muhammad was insan-e kamel, the perfect role model.
- Islam is against slavery.
- The “golden age of Islam.”
- There is less crime in Islamic countries.
- Quran is uncorrupted while the Bible is corrupted.
- Mecca is the center of the world.
- Sharia banking is the best banking practice.
- Hijab is symbol of modesty.
- Hijab is cultural. It has nothing to do with Islam.
- Hijab prevents rape against women.
- The Sharia law has the solution to all human problems.
- Under Islam the dhimmis can live freely.
- Muhammad was known as an honest man in Mecca prior to his “revelation.”
- Honor killing is cultural not an Islamic practice.
- Muhammad forgave those who persecuted him in Taif and in Mecca
- Muhammad killed the Jews, because they did had violated their signed treaty.
- Muhammad treated all his wives equally.
- Muslims respect all religions.
- The Quran is inimitable (no sura like this)
- A Muslim woman can freely choose her husband and has the right to divorce.
- Mohammed’s wars were all defensive
- Islam prescribes kindness to animals
Thank you. We now have 61 myths. 40 more to go.
If I am not adding your suggestion to this list, it is either because it is already included with a different wording or because I don’t have a clear understanding how to explain it. They also may not be a myth at all, such as Islam was born in the full light of the history. This is a fact not a myth. Those who challenge this fact engage in conspiracy theory.